This ride starts on the high Wolds at Sledmere estate village. Visit Sledmere House, the splendid Georgian and Edwardian house owned and lived in by Sir Tatton Sykes. (for opening times see www.sledmerehouse.com)
Ride away from its fine park-land setting to visit outlying villages with some fine views to the Vale of York, and Duggleby Howe Neolithic burial mound. The Norman church in Kirkby Grindalythe is worth a closer look
You can view an online map of this route here.
- Head into the village past the Eleanor Cross and Wagoners’ Memorial monuments, and turn left opposite the pub.
- Go straight on at The crossroads following a brown Byway sign.
- Turn right at T-Junction into Helperthorpe, again following a brown Byway sign.
- Turn left in village, then first left to pass Haverdale House.
- At the T-Junction turn left downhill towards West Lutton.
- Take first right into the village along Back Lane, then right again at the T-Junction.
- Where the road bears left, turn right onto a minor road and climb steadily to High Mowthorpe Plantations
- After the plantations turn left and descend towards Duggleby.
- Go straight on at the crossroads into Duggleby and turn left to Kirby Grindalythe. (Duggleby Howe is the mound visible in the field on the right.)
- At the T-Junction turn right towards Kirby Grindalythe.
- Turn right into the village (turn right again alongside the stream to see the Norman church). Continue back to Sledmere and turn right at the Wagoners’ Memorial to return to the car park.