This route starts off with a gentle run down Wensleydale but then becomes tougher. A long climb up Coverdale takes you over Park Rash and down into Wharfedale, and then after another flatter section there is the climb over Fleet Moss to finish.
You can view an online map of this route here.
- Turn right out of car-park then immediately right again by going around the island. Go over a bridge and upto a T junction. Turn right (signposted Sedbusk). Follow this minor road to Askrigg and climb up through the village.
- Keep right at the top of the village (signposted Carperby) – after the climb out of the village it’s an easy ride down the valley. Carry straight on through Carperby or divert right down the hill to Aysgarth for Café and toilets, and a look at the Falls.
- Go through Redmire, or divert to Castle Bolton for a look round. Up a short climb and then continue on this road to reach a T-junction with the A684.
- Turn right drop down over the river and take the next left. A steep climb takes you over to Coverdale and a T-junction.
- Turn right (signed Carlton) and follow this lovely road up the valley, through the villages of Carlton, Horsehouse and Braidley. There is a short descent to cross the river, and then back up the other side. The final section of the climb is tough, but then there is a quick descent to Kettlewell. Take care on the descent as there are tight corners.
- When you reach Kettlewell go straight across and down the side of the shop, then turn right on to the main road up the valley. Carry on through Starbotton to reach Buckden.
- As you reach Buckden village, turn left (signed Hubberholme). This lovely road climbs gently up Langstrothdale valley, and after passing through Hubberholme there are few houses about. After Oughtershaw the climb up Fleets Moss starts for real with a few steep hairpins at the top.
- From the top of Fleets Moss is a very quick run back to Hawes. The first section of the descent is steep and straight but watch out for sheep and side winds. After you drop into Gayle village you turn left over a bridge and then around to the right. Past the Wensleydale Creamery to a T-junction. Turn right to return to the start.